Sunday, April 26, 2015

U is for Urban Homesteading



This seems to be a growing lifestyle, at least since I have been on the journey. I would love to live in a more rural area with lots of acres. But, seeing how we don't and can't for some time, I am living my homesteading lifestyle in an urban area.



I live in a small (two streets) mobile home park. We do have a decent side yard and back yard. Our landlord doesn't mind what we do on our section of land, as long as we keep it neat. The hubby and son have a lot to clean up now that the snow is all gone. As you can see from the trail camera picture above, we have a good sized yard. We now have one huge bed instead of four large beds. I can plant way more. We put our trail cams up every year because we have some visitors that like to eat my veggies. You can seethe groundhog running towards the beds.

We aren't allowed to have outdoor animals, so having chickens, goats, pigs, etc is out. Although our neighbors wouldn't mind seeing chickens running around eating up all the bugs. We asked them already hehe.

So, we do what we can do to strive for self sufficiency.


We grow all our own veggies, hunt and fish.





We can, freeze and dehydrate all our veggies and meats.







I cook from scratch, meal plan, shop frugally and use coupons when I can.






I make my own detergents, line dry my clothes in the warm months, and only run the washer or dryer at night to save on electricity.



What other things do you do to help you live more sufficiently?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...