Sunday, September 29, 2013

Homemade Crock Pot Apple Butter



Ahh, the smells and foods of fall are all I smell and see at my house right now. The other day, I made some apple butter in the crock pot. It smelled sooo good in here while it was cooking.

I sliced, peeled and cored about 2 dozen apples. It was enough to fill up my 7 qt crock pot. I then added some spices:

1/2 c brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp allspice (I didn't have any so I just used nutmeg instead).
1 c water

Mix the apples and the first three items together really well and add to the crock pot. Then add the water and turn the crock pot on low to cook over night.



When I got up in the morning, not only did my house smell heavenly, but this is what the apples looked like:


Look how much they have cooked down and how lovely and dark the apples look. I then grabbed my handy dandy stick blender and blended up all the apple yumminess smooth.





I then put the lid half on half off of the crock pot to cook the water out and make it much thicker. I never really paid any attention to the time I had it cooking, I just knew when it was ready.

When it was ready, I added it to already prepared 1/2 pint jelly jars. This made 5 half pints and a little bit more that I just added to a small jar and put in the fridge to eat right away.




I love how dark it is! Looks sooo delish, and it is. I processed the 1/2 pints in a water bath for 10 minutes and let it cook over night. Now I have plenty to enjoy for the rest of the year.



Shared with More The Merrier Monday

4 comments:

  1. I've never made apple butter because it's not usual in our area. But you described it so detailed that I think I can try that next week. I'm looking forward to the heavenly smell. And I love these quilted American Ball Jars. Unfortunately they are a bit expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lucked out this summer on jars. The hubby found 4 milk crates full at a yard sale. Most of them were brand new and what wasn't were in super good shape. No chips or anything.

      Delete
  2. This is perfect! I was interested in making some apple butter and then happened to see your link on the Titus 2sdays Link Up. I am so eager to try this one. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I love apple butter, but I have never made it. It is on my "To-Try" list.
    Thanks for sharing with us at The HomeAcre Hop!

    Please join us again Thursday at:
    http://summersacres.blogspot.com/2013/10/the-homeacre-hop-41-and-giveaway.html
    ~Ann

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...