Monday, March 18, 2013

Homemade Breadcrumbs





Homemade Breadcrumbs


It is sooooo easy to make your own bread crumbs, plus there is no added salt and you can flavor it to your liking.

To make, all you do is add day old bread to a food processor (or to a ziplock bag and pound the crap out of it. Did this in my pre-food processor days).



Pulse on low till you get fine crumbs. 

I have noticed that if my bread is still not dried out a bit, that the crumbs are thicker. You can see that in the white crumb pictures. I managed to get a few loaves of bread for 50 cents in the day old bin at my grocery store. I used those to make these crumbs.


Wheat bread crumbs


White bread crumbs, notice that there are still some chunks. You can reprocess after you dry them out in the oven if you want. No biggie.

Put the crumbs on jelly roll pans lined with foil in an oven preheated at 225 for 10-15 minutes.

After they are cooled, put all the crumbs in a big bowl. Mix with the seasoning that you want. I like Italian seasoning.


When they are all mixed up, put in a air tight container. I have a bunch of quart sized canning jars left over that I have been using up.


1 comment:

  1. Wonderful tutorial! I am sure they taste much better than the store bought version! I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...