Saturday, October 12, 2013

Apple Pie in a Bag

I have or had a ton of apples. I love apple pie, but don't have the pie plates to store the pies in the freezer. I saw this idea over at Hickory Holler Farm blog and thought it was perfect. This is my recipe for making my apple pie filling.

6 cups apples, peeled, cored and sliced
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 tbsp. flour
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp salt



Mix everything but the apples in a small bowl. Add to the sliced apples and mix well.


I'll admit that I stole a couple of slices of apples like this. Soo yummy!

Once mixed, label and add to a gallon sized freezer bag. Freeze until ready to cook.


When you are ready to make a pie, simple thaw in either your fridge over night or on the counter for about an hour. Add to your pie plate lined with crust. Sprinkle some lemon juice and dot with butter. Add remaining crust on the top and bake at 425°F. To prevent over browning of the edges of the pie, cover the edges in foil. Bake the pie for 20 minutes, then remove the foil and bake another 25 minutes or until the top is golden brown.


12 comments:

  1. Clever technique, I would never have thought to freeze apple pie filling! How's the texture of the apples when thawed? Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop! I hope you’ll join us again next week!

    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick
    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a clever idea! I never thought about doing this. It would be a wonderful time saver as well. Thank you so much for sharing on the HomeAcre Hop! I am going to feature this post tomorrow! Stop by and pick up your "I was featured" button. I hope you come back tomorrow and share another post! - Nancy HomeAcre Hop

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's in the oven now! Ohh it smells so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just got my apples mixed and frozen. I'll be back on Thanksgiving to write how well it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Katy! How was the texture of the apples? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How long can uvfreeze the apples for

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made this last fall with the apples I got at our local farmers market. We enjoyed apple pie and apple crisp all year long. When I served my crisp to guests, they raved about how amazing it was. I didn’t change anything with this recipe. Today is time to make more bags of apples for the freezer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. I don’t see why not. I make pear sauce the same way I make applesauce, same ingredients and same timing, so I would this this would also work with pears.

      Delete
  9. I can’t wait to try this method of storing apples. It certainly prevents a lot of waste and time. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never heard of fixing apple pie filling that way but I tried it and love so fast and easy than you

    ReplyDelete
  11. I been doing this for years. It’s always a hit. Also working for fried pies.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...