Wednesday, April 22, 2015

S is for Soups




When it is cold out, we eat a lot of soups and stews. I have to be in the mood for them, but my hubby could eat them pretty much every day. Here are a few of our favorite soups and stews.




Vegetable Beef Soup is my favorite. So many veggies in a tomato stock. I tend to throw all sorts of veggies and ground beef. I might have to thaw some out for dinner tonight. Yummy! I make enough of this soup to give us like 6 meals out of it.





Beef Stew is another favorite of ours. I change up the recipe at times. The hubby grew up with a rather plain palate, I grew up eating all sorts of seasoned foods. So, I have been slowly changing up our recipes to add more seasoning to them. The hubby hasn't complained too much. Meat is getting so pricey now, so I tend to add a ton more veggies than meat. We all love our veggies, so we don't mind.




I also make a Venison Stew (recipe to follow in another post). Hubby was lucky enough a couple years ago to get us some venison for the winter. This past year he was unable to get out to hunt, so no venison. Well, almost none. My brother was able to get some and he shared it with us. He is a 911 operator and they get like five or so calls a day about deer getting hit by cars. They are usually put down to stop their suffering and because the meat is fresh, it goes to the next person on this list that is kept. My brother got 60 lbs last time.



Finally, Corn Chowder (or chowdah as we say up here. I am from the Boston area after all hehe). This is the hubby's favorite. Well, next to my Chicken Noodle or Rice Soups. All my soups have a ton of veggies, all grown by me or a local farmer. I try to support the little farmers by getting things I have had no luck growing, like my potatoes and corn.

I make my own beef, chicken and veggie broths for all my soups as well. It is so easy to do. I just put the bones and veggies for the beef and chicken stocks into a crock pot, cover it with water, and cook over night. For the veggie broth, I collect scraps of my veggies and add those to my crock pot, add water and cook for several hour to over night. Then I pressure can them. All done.


2 comments:

  1. My family likes soups and stews. These pictures are wonderful! I like your site. :)

    Kathy (A-Z challenge)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My family likes soups and stews. These pictures are wonderful! I like your site. :)

    Kathy (A-Z challenge)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...