Friday, June 21, 2013

Our Summer Reading Challenge


Matt hates to read. If it wasn't for the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books, he would have never read any non-school books this year. My hubby isn't a big reader either. He will read the newspaper, but I have never seen him sit down with a book in the 14 years we have been together. Me on the other hand, I devour books. I love to read. My daughter does too. It just kills me that Matt doesn't. Chantelle has been reading nonstop these past few days. I lent her my copies of Catching Fire and Mockingjay, She wants to read them before the Catching Fire movies comes out this November.

This summer, weather he likes it or not, he will be reading everyday. He will need to read for at least 1 hour a day and at least three books during the summer. Normally I would have him read more, but because of his hate of books, three is a lot for him.

Once he finishes a book, he will then be given a choice of an activity. Something that we don't do much at all. Something like going to the Boston Aquarium or the Boston Museum of Science. I need to make up a little chart or something so that he and I know if he misses any days of reading. I know I have some off days because of my RA and Fibro and tend to forget things at times.

My goal is to keep him off the computer and away from the TV for much of the day. He will earn computer/TV time by reading extra and doing chores. I have a few books for him downloaded to my Kindle. He does have the app on his ipod, but I don't trust him. I know he will end up playing a game on it instead.

I am also going to do my own reading challenge. Only I will be reading a ton more books. I plan on reading 1-2 books a week, depending on the thickness of the book. I am giving myself the goal of reading 15 books this summer. Hopefully both of us can accomplish our goals this summer.

I have a bunch of books that I have bought from thrift stores and got off of paperbackswap.com. I also have some books left over from when I use to work at CBD. I miss getting my free books from there. Let's not forget all the free Kindle books that I downloaded too. It is pretty much all I read from Amazon. I am a prime member, so I can borrow books for free too.




Some of the books I plan on reading this summer. I read a wide variety of books. Right now I am into any romance with cowboys and the paranormal. I have a few mysteries mixed in for a little something different.




My Kindle. They don't make them like this anymore and don't know what I will do if it ever dies. I don't care for the new ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...