Wednesday, June 12, 2013

How does my garden grow?

Even though we have been getting tons of rain the past couple of weeks (a little over 6 inches so far with more to come), my garden seems to be doing well. I added straw to pretty much all the beds (if a plant hasn't come up yet, I haven't put the straw down yet). The beds tend to dry up fast, so the straw helps keep in the moisture. Although we don't have that problem currently.







My snap peas have flowers all over them now. The plants also stand about 4 feet tall now. I swear they just sprouted up like crazy this last week. We had a few days of 90's, but once it went back down to the 60's and 70's, the peas went nuts growing. They really hate hot weather.




My tomatoes are still small, but they have gotten much bigger since I planted them. My basil has grow a bunch too. I thought I was going to loose the plant, but my dad helped to bring it back. I also got some garlic chives from my neighbor.




I lost a lot of onions to some little meal worm looking worm, but the ones that have survived, are growing great. If anyone knows of the little worm I am talking about, I would love to know the name of it.



My little baby corn coming up. This is my first year trying this. It was not part of my plans initially to try it, but my dad said to give it a go. They have been growing pretty fast so far.

I have two different kinds of cucumbers, summer squash, zucchini and potatoes coming up as well. I also have some butternut squash and half of my bush beans planted, but they haven't sprouted yet. I am hoping the rain and cool weather haven't done anything to the seeds.


1 comment:

  1. Every thing is looking great! My peas are just a few inches. They took weeks to pop up and now we are in the 90's. With your garden in the raised beds they will have a better chance with all the rain. I'm hoping we get rain tonight with this storm front. It's been dry as a bone here

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...