Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Cottage Pie

Cottage pie is basically the poor man's Shepherd's Pie. An authentic Shepherd's Pie is made with ground lamb. An authentic Cottage Pie is made with ground beef.

I made this for dinner tonight so I could visualize the amounts of ingredients that I put in it. I have made this for so long, that I don't measure anything anymore. Some add cheese to the top or even a pie crust, I don't do either. Hubby doesn't like cheese (oh the horror!) and my family has never made it with a crust before. This is my take on the Cottage Pie. Hope you enjoy it!





Cottage Pie

1 lb. ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and diced
1 cup fresh or frozen corn
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup beef broth
1 tsp tomato paste
3 tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp flour
4 large potatoes
4 tsp butter
1/4 cup milk
Salt & Pepper to taste
1/2 tsp dried parsley


1. Chop potatoes and add to salted water. Cook until tender. Drain water. Add butter and mash. Add milk and continue to mash. Add salt and pepper.

2. Cook the ground beef with the onion. Drain off any fat. Add garlic and cook a minute or two. Add flour and mix well to cover beef.

3. Add carrots and corn to beef mixture.

4. Mix the tomato paste with the beef broth. Add beef broth to meat/veggie mixture. Add Worcestershire sauce. Cook until thickened.

5. Add salt, pepper and parsley. Put mixture into 9x9 baking dish. Top with the mashed potatoes

6. Cook at 350°F for 30 minutes. Serve and enjoy.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...