Friday, March 28, 2014

Is it Spring yet?

This past winter was very hard on me, probably everyone in the northeast. It was bitterly cold and snowy. I have been use to the past few years where we have had very mild winters. It would snow, then it would all melt, then snow again.

This time last year we had no snow and our spring bulbs were starting to pop up. My dad sent me a message on Facebook to have me remove the straw from the flower beds so that the flowers wont get crushed. Well, as you can see, there is nothing there so I just put the straw back on the bed.



Ohhh,wait! I see something in the upper right hand corner. Yup, some of my bulbs are starting to peak through the dirt, finally! Some of the garden beds have ice on them still.



My backyard and gardens are still covered in snow. It is going to rain the next couple of days, so hopefully the snow goes away. I guess I am getting anxious to get into the dirt and start growing my veggies. Gardening keeps me busy.



I filled my feeders, but know they will be empty in no time at all. All the starlings hog all the seed and they make a mess too. I can hear the spring birds chirping in the morning. It made me stop the other day when I was on my way out to run errands. Just hearing them in the trees and bushes around my house, brings a smile to my face knowing that warm weather is just around the corner.




Looks like some rabbits have been enjoying our feeders too. Either that or someone is throwing Cocoa Puffs on the ground under the feeders. After I filled the feeders, I sprinkled some of the left over food we had from Allegra (our rabbit who passed away) under the feeders for the rabbits and squirrels.

While I was checking out possible tracks for animals, I could hear the hammering of a woodpecker. I could see some deer tracks so I thought at first the deer were eating at the feeders. They might have been, but those droppings are rabbit, not deer. I found the woodpecker eventually, hammering away at a dead tree.



If you look at the shorter of the two dead trees in the middle of the picture, you can see the redheaded woodpecker. It's a female, so you can't really see the red cap like the males have.

I guess Spring is here, but she is taking her time coming out to play.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...