Sunday, March 9, 2014

Corn Chowdah

I love me some creamy corn chowder on cold nights. Being from the Boston area, growing up and living there until 4 years ago, I have still a little bit of my Bostonian accent. We don't pronounce "R" at all. Hence the Chowdah. That is how we pronounce it.

Lots of the recipes for corn chowder I have seen hardly uses any corn. Well, it should have more corn than anything in it cause it is a CORN chowder. I have also seen lots of bacon in them.  I use bacon in it to flavor it, but not over whelm it. You can adjust the bacon amount to what you like.




Corn Chowdah

4 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup flour
2 cup water
5 cup milk
4 chicken bouillon cube
1/4 lb bacon
1 small onion, diced
3 potatoes, cubed in 1 inch pieces
3 cloves garlic, minced
4-5 cups corn (I like to use the corn I grew)
salt & pepper to taste


1. Melt the butter in a large pot. Add the onions and cook until transparent. Add the garlic and cook a couple more minutes. Add the flour and mix to absorb the butter. Cook a couple minutes more.

2. Add the 2 cups of water to the butter/flour mixture. I like to have already dissolved the bouillon cubes in the water before added, but not needed. Stir until no more lumps of flour and the mixture is thickened.

3. Add one cup of milk and stir until thickened. Add the remaining milk and the bouillon cubes, if you did not dissolve in the water already. Bring it to a simmer, but do not boil.

4. Add the potatoes and cook until almost soft. Add the bacon, already cooked crisp and broken up. Add the corn. Add salt and pepper to taste. I like to use a lot of pepper, but that is just me.

5. Let simmer until the potatoes are cooked. It may seem a little runny still, but it will thicken up more. I like to add a little bit more bacon to the top of the soup once poured into bowls.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...