Monday, October 20, 2014

Vegetable Beef Soup



While checking out things on Pinterest, I came upon a recipe for vegetable beef soup. I had pretty much everything for it on hand, except the lima beans, so I made it for supper. It was a good recipe, but I changed it up to fit what my family likes and to add a bit more flavor.

Here is the original recipe: A Homemaker's Journal

Here is mine: *Warning This makes a ton of soup! I froze 2 meals after eating 2 meals worth.*

6 potatoes, diced
1/2 head cabbage, chopped
6 large carrots, diced
5 celery stalks, chopped
1 cup froze peas
1 cup frozen corn
2 jars (I can my own) green beans
1/2 bag spinach
2  8 oz can tomato sauce
2  1 quart bottles V-8
1 large onion, chopped
2 lbs ground beef (I always use a 80/20 ratio tastes the best imo)
2 cups beef broth
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp dried parsley
salt & pepper to taste

1. In a large stockpot, add tomato juice, tomato sauce, beef broth, potatoes, carrots, celery and cabbage. Bring to a boil and cook for 15-20 minutes.

2. In a skillet, cook onion and ground beef until beef is brown and onions are translucent. Drain fat.

3. Add meat, remaining veggies and seasonings to broth pot. Boil for another 10 minutes longer to make sure everything is heated through and potatoes are fork tender.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...