Monday, January 13, 2014

Picking the seeds for the 2014 garden



I love this time of year. When all the seed catalogs start showing up. Curling up in bed with a hot cup of tea and a catalog. Lots of mine are dog eared and starred from picking plants to try and get. I order some of the ones I grow every year, seeing how I know how they do in my area. I also am planning on trying a bunch of new plants this year too.

I got a bunch of catalogs this year. My go to companies are:

Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds
Johnny's Select Seeds
Territorial Seed Company
Burpee
Seed Savers Exchange

As you can see in the picture, I got a ton of other catalogs. I've enjoyed looking through them to see what the offer, if there is anything different that might work out, and the prices. For the past couple of weeks I have been making my lists, crossing items off, finalizing things. I think I am finally done with picking them out. Now to start placing the orders for them. Here is what I plan on growing.

What I always grow:

Bush Beans
Pole Beans
Zucchini
Carrots
Onions
Garden Peas
Pumpkin
Potatoes
Tomatoes
Corn
Cucumbers
Lettuce
Peppers
Summer Squash
Butternut Squash
Sunflowers
Basil
Chives
Mint


New this year:

Watermelon
Cantaloupe
Broccoli
Brussels Sprouts
Dill
Dry Beans
Beets
Celery
Chinese Cabbage
Spinach
Strawberries
Garlic
Blueberries


The garlic and blueberries were planted in the fall so they got an early start. I ordered 2 year plants so I might have some berries this year, but I will have some for sure next year. We also eat a ton of watermelon, strawberries and cantaloupe, so I am hoping these do well. All of the fruit I picked said that they are perfect for my northern climate. I can (and usually do) go to the farm down the street to get our strawberries, but I want to be able to go out to my own garden and pick them whenever. Same with the blueberries. I picked out three plants that will each produce blueberries in June, July, and August, so I will have berries all summer long. I am drooling now just thinking about eating all the veggies and fruit we are going to grow. So excited!

Now to plan out the garden and make sure all the plants will work with each of the ones I plant next to it. We are also going to be building some pore vertical gardening things to help maximize the space we have to fit all these veggies in.




3 comments:

  1. Isn't it fun to browse through those seed catalogs and dream of our future gardens. Come on spring!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was doing a little garden planning myself earlier today. Not sure what all I'll be planting, but I better decide soon. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. To order the seeds is always so exciting! Thank you for linking up at Green Thumb Thursday, do not forget to come and link up this Thursday again!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...