Tuesday, April 16, 2013

What To Plant 2013

I have been so itchy to get into the garden. Being cooped up in the house all winter long drove me bonkers. I told my Rheumy that my goal was to be able to get into my garden and do it with no or as little pain as possible. Something about growing and tending to a garden that I find soothing and relaxing. I have no problems getting my fingers dirty.

I've been pouring over catalogs since January thinking about what I want to plant. I tend to always buy from Burpee though. One of these days I will try some heirloom seeds from one of the companies in this picture.




Here is a list of the plants that I will be starting from seed this year. I don't start my seedlings in my house, no room honestly, so I just sow them directly in the ground.

Snap Peas
Shelling Peas
Zucchini
Summer Squash
Slicing Cucumbers
Pickling Cucumbers
Pumpkin
Bush Beans
Sunflowers
Butternut Squash
Potatoes
Strawberries
Onions







I like to try at least a couple new veggies a year. Last year it was pumpkins, butternut squash and melons. This year, it is potato, onion, broccoli, and strawberries.

Every year we buy our tomato and pepper plants from a farm near by. We haven't had any luck starting them from seed. I also like to buy my herbs as plants. I also bought my broccoli as plants this year as well.

These arethe herbs I plan to get this year.

Rosemary
Thyme
Parsley
Cilantro
Basil
Dill
Spearmint

Our spearmint plan from last year came from my dad as a tiny cutting. It grew huge. However, it died over the winter. Dad said it would be ok, but because i had grown it in a huge pot and not directly in the ground, I have a feeling that is why it did not make it. The hubby wanted to bring it in the house (I honestly had no clue where to put it cause it was in a big pot), but dad said not to. Oh well, we live and learn.

Now off to finish my plans to where to plant my veggies.


1 comment:

  1. all the mints will drop seeds and overtake their area, they also send shoots and runners like mad. we have a garden too here in NH but it is still covered in snow, I am starting my cukes, herbs and tomatoes inside with some of those little peatpot, greenhouse kits from home depot, I am doing some heirlooms as well, odd job lots had lots of seed for half price and some cool implements as well. last year we even did stevia,

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...