Friday, June 6, 2014

"Adventures" with a Groundhog.....Year 2

Last year was the first year I had a battle with critters in m garden. We caught 5 or 6 groundhogs. I honestly forget how many. They are rather cute and funny to watch, but man are they stinky. They can also do some serious damage to your garden.


Our next door neighbor told us a few weeks ago that he has a groundhog living under his shed. We took out the fencing that we put around the garden last year. While walking around putting the stakes in the ground, we noticed a few of the snap peas had been nibbled on.


No big deal really. Only a few were nibbled on and I had planted double what we had last year. Most of those never made it into the house because I kept eating them while in the garden. LOL. None of our spinach or lettuce had been touched. I am thinking it is because I planted garlic and onions around and between the lettuce.

The hubby found a few holes around our shed. We have since blocked them all and haven't seen anymore dug since. This hole is behind my blueberry bushes, which were never touched. I need to weed out the blueberry area badly.


The pansies I had planted in the strawberry pot in the front of the shed had been eaten however. No big deal because they were starting to be past their prime. I rather have the ground hog eat the pansies than my veggies.

Now the fence is all up, the trail cam is set up and records all day long. We want to get one that records at night and only snaps a picture when something moves in front of it. The one we have now snaps apicture every few seconds and only between 5am - 9pm.



We haven't seen any signs of the groundhog or any pictures of him on the trail cam for the past couple of days, but it has been raining. I did see a dead ground hog not to far from my house though. Poor guy got hit by a car. I am wondering if that was him. If we don't see any signs of him on the trail cam by Monday, I bet it was him. The fence and trail cam will remain up until we clean up the garden in the fall.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...