Friday, July 11, 2014

How I Freeze Beets



I planted beets for the first time this year. Never grew them, so wasn't sure how they would come out. I think they did pretty well. Beets have anti inflammatory benefits, so I figured I would give them a try. Anything to help keep my inflammation from my RA down.

After I picked them all, I washed them up good. Leaving both the root and leaves on. I cut the leaves off about 3 inches above the beet and saved them for later. You can eat them too. Double food for little money.


I boiled them for about 45 minutes or so or until fork tender. Then put them into ice water. It makes taking off the skin so easy. It just slips off.


Once the skin is off and the stems and roots trimmed off, You can either cut them in slices or chunks. I did both.




Look how beautiful red they are. Love how you can see the rings in them. Because I am the only one in the house that is going to eat these, I put single serving sizes in individual bags then placed the small bags in a large freezer bag. Keeps it organized and gives it extra protection against freezer burn.


Clean up was pretty easy too. My white cutting board was covered in beet "blood". It looked like I murdered someone in the kitchen after I was done with everything. The beet juice just rinsed off, never stained me or the board.


Max was enjoying himself checking out the greens. He kept eating the grass that was mixed in with the beet greens.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...